Thursday, December 3, 2015

Institute Essay Questions: Jesus Christ and the Everlasting Gospel

One of the first things I did when I moved to Utah was join an Institute class, and it's been such a blessing in my life. Wednesdays are my favorite day of the week, because I'm able to go and be spiritually fed for hours (Class + the special speaker after). It's changed my life. I've been taking a Cornerstone class called Jesus Christ and the Everlasting Gospel, and yesterday I turned in my answers for the 'Elevate Learning Experience' essay questions. I thought I'd share those here. :)

What can I learn from the Savior about obeying the will of Heavenly Father?

Jesus Christ is the most obedient man to ever walk this earth. I can learn from Him the power and fruits of submitting to the Father, even in very difficult circumstances.

The Savior has chosen to obey the Father every moment of His existence – from the Creation of the world to that night of bitter suffering at Gethsemane. There, He prayed, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt. (Matthew 26:39) And then again He prayed, O my Father, if this cup may not pass away from me, except I drink it, thy will be done. (Matthew 26:42) He prayed a third time with the same request.

The weight of His suffering was terrible, and even so, He chose it – for the sake of His Father’s will and our eternal salvation. And that choice – to suffer, to bleed, to die – was the most powerful choice ever made.

I will never suffer as my Savior did, but I will face many trials, and His example teaches me how to handle those. His example teaches me that no matter the difficulty, the things I face are part of a bigger plan. The Savior told Joseph Smith, My son, peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment. (Doctrine and Covenants 121:7) The same message is illustrated in 2 Corinthians 4:
15 For all things are for your sakes, that the abundant grace might through the thanksgiving of many redound to the glory of God.
16 For which cause we faint not; but though our outward man perish, yet the inward man is renewed day by day.
17 For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory;
18 While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.


If an ordinary man stumbled upon the Savior in Gethsemane, he would see a man in mortal agony, but he wouldn’t see the fruits of that suffering. He wouldn’t see the eternal perspective; the men and women being freed from their sins, the children being saved from unfortunate lives, and every other soul that has since cried for joy because of that moment.

The Savior teaches me to look past the mortal aspects of my trials, and to see the divine changes that they make within me. The Savior teaches me that my trials and sufferings are for a greater purpose, and that they are preparing me for other things. The Savior teaches me that if I submit to the Father, my life will be the greatest that it can be, because His plan is better than anything I could imagine. The Savior teaches me that my Father in Heaven knows all, that I can trust Him, and that obeying His will is the greatest and most powerful choice I will ever make.

The Savior gives me the courage and faith to press forward, and to be obedient. Because of Him, I believe that it’s both possible and well worth it. Because of Him, the Plan of Salvation is made perfect, and I can follow His light and example back to my heavenly home.

Why do I need the Savior?

I need the Savior because mortality has made it possible for me to be fallen both physically and spiritually. His Atonement redeems me from the Fall, and His example shows me how to be spiritually worthy of His Kingdom.
Mosiah 3:19 For the natural man is an enemy to God, and has been from the fall of Adam, and will be, forever and ever, unless he yields to the enticings of the Holy Spirit, and putteth off the natural man and becometh a saint through the atonement of Christ the Lord, and becometh as a child, submissive, meek, humble, patient, full of love, willing to submit to all things which the Lord seeth fit to inflict upon him, even as a child doth submit to his father.
When Adam and Eve partook of the fruit in the Garden of Eden, they caused the Fall of mankind. The Fall made it possible for mankind to die – as well as reproduce. Jesus Christ died on the cross to make it possible for me to be resurrected and have immortality. Without Him, all would end at death. In John 11:25, the Savior Himself said, I am the resurrection, and the life.

The Fall also separated us from God, and placed us in a state of opposition. The Savior atoned for our sins, and I need His blood to cleanse me. I was given that gift through baptism, which is one of the vital steps needed to make it home. The other steps include faith, repentance, and making sacred covenants.

The Savior’s example also shows me how to overcome mortal opposition. In this life, we are faced with great trials and temptations. Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak. (Matthew 26:41) Because of His suffering, the Savior knows how to help us overcome those temptations, if we are humble and come to Him. He understands the weaknesses of the mortal body, and knows how to succor us.

Elder Richard G. Scott said, “I testify that except for the Atonement of the Holy Redeemer, the demands of justice would prevent every soul born on earth from returning to the presence of God, to partake of His glory and exaltation, for all make mistakes for which we cannot personally appease justice.” The Savior is the only way. If we become as a child and submit ourselves to Him, with genuine faith and humility, He will guide us home.

I have often felt alone in my faith and beliefs, and the Savior has helped me to feel supported and comforted. Elder Jeffrey R. Holland said, "Brothers and sisters, one of the great consolations of this Easter season is that because Jesus walked such a long, lonely path utterly alone, we do not have to do so." I have felt the Savior with me during the most difficult times of my life – even when I’ve felt mortally alone. He has been there, and He will always be there. I need Him to give me strength, courage, guidance, comfort, love, acceptance, and so many other things. I need Him to be my light. I need Him to be my Savior. And He is, forever and always.


What have I learned in this course about Jesus Christ and the everlasting gospel that has blessed my life?


I have learned that Jesus Christ is my greatest example, my advocate with the Father, and the greatest friend I will ever have. I’ve also learned that He is far more involved in the Plan and the Restoration than I ever realized.

Jesus Christ lived a perfect life, and He bids us to follow Him. It may not be humanly possible to be flawless, but we can be made better day by day through Him. President Dieter F. Uchtdorf counseled us to start where we are. He said, “I learned in my life that we don’t need to be “more” of anything to start to become the person God intended us to become.”

Doctrine and Covenants 29:5 says, Lift up your hearts and be glad, for I am in your midst, and am your advocate with the Father; and it is his good will to give you the kingdom. Those words changed my life. I’m not perfect, but I have a perfect advocate. If I do my best and repent daily, He will stand with me on judgement day and be my advocate with a loving Father. That truth is so powerful.

My Savior will stand by me in this life, as well. He will be my friend when I have no other. His example shows me that the righteous path may be a lonely one, but that it’s the only good one.

Christ is in every bit of the Restoration, because it’s the Restoration of His Church. His Church began with Him, and now it’s been restored through His power and His guidance. And the Church now influences every part of my life. He is in every part of my life.

The Savior has blessed my life in so many ways. He has given me countless second chances. He has given me the Church, which is an anchor that I would be lost without. He has redeemed me from the Fall. He has lit my path with a light that darkness can never touch. He has given me a peace and joy that I could have no other way.

I bear my testimony that I know Jesus Christ is my Savior and my Redeemer. I know that He lived and died for me. I know that because of Him, I can become better, and that strengthens me daily. I know that He both began and restored His Church, and that He leads and guides it now through His chosen prophets. I know that He still speaks to us through those prophets, as well as personal revelation. I have felt His Spirit in my life, and it is wonderful. I love Him more than words can ever tell.

I say these things in His name, Jesus Christ, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment