(The 'origin' of this blogfest can be found here: Origins Blogfest)
When I was little, I used to played 'reality-games' (and fantasy-games) with my friends. We'd come up with vague beginnings and act the rest of the story out as it happened. Those games weren't on paper, but nonetheless, I was already coming up with stories. Back then, I was sure I'd be in drama. Man, was I wrong. The inspiration for my current series has strong roots in those childhood memories, and since then, it's grown like wildfire.
One night, I was on the way to a movie with my older sister, Jessi. (She was my book sister. My other sisters were my clothes sister, and my food sister. Hehe.) We were brainstorming about silly things, and came up with a story about a grandfather clock named Winkler. Several dictating sessions later, we'd written my first stories (sorry, these are not available in print or online ... yet): Winkler's Adventure, The Adventures of Sheriff Winkler, Winkler the Golfer, Meet Winkler's Family, Winkie's Adventure (son of Winkler), and Winkie Goes to Hollywood.
![]() |
| Credit to my book sister and illustrator, Jessi. |


I wish I were a better journaler. I think journals are fantastic! I love that it showed you your passion for writing.
ReplyDeleteAlso: I love that you have a book sister, a clothes sister, and a food sister. How great is that?!
Haha Yeah, the joys of being the youngest. :) And for journaling, if I miss anything, I feel like a traitor. So, I keep going. Helps me clear my mind. :)
DeleteI have a memory of my brother and I typing out 5 or 6 sentence mini-stories on my dad's old manual typewriter. They were mysteries that ended with things like 'the butler did it because the butler ALWAYS does it.' My brother lost interest when I started one that threatened to go on for longer than the usual 5-6 sentences.
ReplyDeleteWere you prejudice against butlers? ;)
DeleteHaha That little story is a fine example that some threats - rarely - are good for you. I love how everyone's origins are so unique!
I love that you had a book sister, a clothes sister, and a food sister! (shoot, you just gave me a story idea!) That grandfather clock picture is so cute! What a great idea. I'm imagining the personality of a grandfather clock right now. I'm a new follower.
ReplyDeleteHaha You can never avoid book ideas. :) And I know! For years, I've wanted to rewrite those books and do them for children. I'm really starting to consider it again. And thanks for the follow. I'll stop by your blog as well. :)
DeleteGreat story. I love your Sheriff Winkler drawing. I am a new follower. I am still trying to make it around to all of the Origin blogfest participants.
ReplyDeleteThanks. Wish I could take credit, but the most I can draw is a flower. Haha Thanks for the follow! I haven't even made it to a fifth of the origins. Still working on it!
DeleteThat is one rugged clock! How cool that he inspired so many stories...and even cooler that you're back at it. :)
ReplyDeleteAye, he's a good one. :) Thanks for the follow!
DeleteNice to meet you and the Sheriff! New follower here.
ReplyDeleteNice to meet you, too! Thanks. :)
DeleteI think I would have been a great journaler...if anybody would have given me one. Such a great tool for developing a writers voice!
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing your ORIGIN with us!
It is a remarkable tool. Don't know what I'd do without it! And it was fun to remember all of that. I got to tell a little of my story, and that's what we writers love to do. :)
DeleteI love how you and your sister shared in that creative writing moment. I'm glad you kept on journaling.
ReplyDeleteGreat to meet you on this blogfest.
your newest follower,
Nutschell
www.thewritingnut.com
Great to meet you too! And yes, it brought us even closer than before. :) Thanks for the follow!
DeleteBonnie, what a great origins story! I used to play those very same games with my friends :) In fact, I clearly remember one where we were on the playground and this one tree was our time machine back into the past. I think we visited dinosaurs and Ben Franklin that day. Thanks for sharing!!
ReplyDeleteThanks! Those are great times to remember, aren't they? :)
DeleteHi. Better late than never, as they say. I didn't make it to all the blogs during the blogfest, but I saw that you just visited mine, so I'm happy to return the favor. Loved your Origins story. Count me in as your newest follower.
ReplyDeleteIt's all good. I haven't even made it to half yet. :) Thanks, and thanks again for the follow! Happy to meet more people in the world of blogging.
DeleteWow! Nice story new follower here.:)
ReplyDeleteThanks! I appreciate it. :)
Delete