Friday, February 24, 2012

The Power of Story

"History will be kind to me because I intend to write it."
I'm currently at a Family History Expo in St. George, Utah. I've always had a fascination with the stories of my heritage, and the thought of writing about my ancestors is very intriguing. There was a class today by Carol Rice, Teresa Clark, and DeNae Handy. The title was Story@Home: The Power of Story. Here are a few key points I jotted down.
  1. Stories make people matter. 
  2. The dates and records tell you the facts, but the stories make those people human, and help your readers feel a connection.
  3. You want to bring the people you know of to life, so that others may know them as well. Turn a black and white photo to color, you might say.
  4. Everyone undertakes their own journey, and you never know when even the smallest detail will touch someone else.
Just something to think about. :)

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree! It's the stories that make people human. I especially love ones about my ancestors. They're the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonnie - If you enjoyed our workshop, you and your friends would LOVE the Story@Home Conference in Salt Lake City. I hope you can come! March 9th and 10th. http://www.cherishbound.com/blog/storyathome/
    Teresa Clark
    teresaclark.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete