Tuesday, April 9, 2013

A-Z 2013 Day Eight: Hearts!

H is for Hearts :)

I got an email from an old friend today, and she asked me the most interesting question - I thought it was worth sharing. She asked, "If every time you get into a romance with anyone, it ends badly, why do you do it?"

... I probably could have written pages if I had the time. I suppose I can't blame her for the question - she's seen me go through a lot, and it's the human tendency to say more about the bad things than the good when they happen ... (Venting, you know?) Not so proud of that. Haha Which is funny, because in reality, the good things are the ones I think about most - the ones that make a place in my heart :)

So ... why do we do it?

Because it's so worth it :) To some, I probably sound like a total idiot, but you know what? It's true! It is worth it. Broken hearts are terrible - they hurt more than should ever be possible. But that's because the good times - the love ... well, it's heaven :)

For me, I don't regret any of it - especially a recent relationship. I wouldn't change that if my life depended on it. Why? Because even if it didn't work out, that man taught me how to really love - how to open my heart again and be okay with trusting someone. He gave me hope :)

I can't remember ever feeling pure joy until I fell in love with him. That's what he gave me. How could I possibly regret that? Yes, it hurts. Yes, I've cried way more than I want to admit. But still - it's worth it.

Someone once asked Doctor Laura a similar question, and she said, "Would you deny yourself all of that happiness, just because it would also bring a trial?" Nope :) My mom used to say that she'd never get a dog because they all die eventually - and that's sad and hard. But alas, she's had two dogs, and says it was a wonderful experience :) (Not comparing men to dogs or anything, of course ;)

That's the longer version of my answer :) The short? Simple: "I never said that it would be easy - just that it would be worth it."

Bonnie Gwyn

9 comments:

  1. They do say it is be to have loved and lost that never to have loved before. It might not feel that way at the time but it does make sense. Love teaches us so much, would it really be better to have never experienced it but never been hurt?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Avoiding hurt is not to experience what could be wonderful! Definitely kep going - there is someone out there for everyone. Nancy at Welcome to she said, he said
    #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOps... that last comment was probably me...Nancy at Welcome to she said, he said
    #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so true. Sometimes love brings heartache, but it also brings more happiness than anything else I know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally agree. Every terrible endings teach us something worthy. So keep loving till the end, even thou at times it hurts. :)

    - A fellow blogger from A to Z!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice thought. I love that line at the last. Yes love sometimes comes with a packaging of break up, nevertheless you got to get over because there is more of love your way. Reading this post at the morning hour gave a energetic push to my day.
    Thanks

    Fellow participant
    POETICbug

    ReplyDelete
  7. Problem is people often repeat the same mistakes in relationships and expect a different end result. Hey, thought you were onto something there when you started your comparison of dogs and men, lol?

    A-Z

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love is like ice cream - we can become better people just from the great memories.

    ReplyDelete
  9. No regret is good. Think how boring it would be if everything were the same. I think of it this way the ups the downs in life is the 'color' that adds the ummmp!! and make it all worth while...otherwise it just monotone. LOL. Lovely to meet you Bonnie.
    A visiting A to Z er

    ReplyDelete