Tuesday, April 2, 2013

A-Z 2013 Day Two: Broken Things


B is for Broken Things

Barely posted yesterday and got such a great response :) Thanks guys. Keeps me motivated!

To start off on the letter B, I'd like to quote one of my favorite songs by Ryan Kelly.

You can have my heart
If you don't mind broken things
You can have my love
If you don't mind these tears
But I heard that you make old things new
So I'll give these pieces all to you
If you want it
You can have my heart

In life, we face many broken things. Broken families, broken relationships, broken plans and hopes and dreams. Broken hearts. That's part of life. But it certainly isn't easy.

It really surprises me how things can break and fall apart so quickly - especially when they seemed so strong beforehand. But it's when things get hard that we see what (and who) can stand, and what becomes of those that can't.

So what do we do ... when we face something broken? Do we pick up the pieces and try to make things right again, or do we let it go and move on? It's a difficult decision. And it really depends on the situation. But at least in my case, I know it's time to clean the slate and just start over. That takes a lot of faith and courage - both things I need more of :) But that's okay. Often, progress comes slowly, but it's still progress. We can't let these things keep us from pressing forward - no matter how strong the current against us.

I think the first step to healing after breaking is simply finding peace with it all. Stop asking Why?, and find the strength to ask instead, What can I do now? Or Where do I go from here? Accept what's happened and how things are - take the first step in moving on. And then, when you're far enough away from the pain - you might just see the answers to your questions. In every trial there is a lesson. There is a reason. But we have to be open to that reason in order to see it.

Life is hard. Tragic. Devastating. But I've learned that it's in the dark times - when everything seems wrong and ugly - that you can see the most beauty. It's there. Just look for it. Don't look down at the bad. Look up. Look up to where the sun is shining :) Look up and remember how God is watching over you - how He loves you so much.

And pray. Always pray. There is so much peace in simply making that connection with your Heavenly Father.

In Him, every broken thing - big or small - can be made right. In Him, there is always light <3 Be strong, my friends! Everything will be alright :)

Bonnie Gwyn

3 comments:

  1. I'm a Mormon, too :) Beautiful post. New follower here :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, can't believe the A-Z challenge has started again. Ha! Couldn't even finish the last one so I know I won't be doing it this year. Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicely said, and it does depend. If you've given it your best and are satisfied you did, then moving on, starting over is often the best course. When one door is closed another opens, but we must be willing to walk through the door.

    A-Z

    ReplyDelete