Monday, April 15, 2013

A-Z 2013 Day Thirteen: The Magic of Music

The Magic of Music
"Music is truly the universal language, and when it is excellently expressed how deeply it moves our souls."
-- President David O. McKay
Music :) The notes are truly capable of playing our heartstrings. It's amazing what a simple song can do. I have playlists for a lot of different things - depending on what I want to feel. When I need uplifted, I play the spiritual. When I need courage, I play the things that help boost me up. When I need to cry ... well, we all know that far too many songs in this world are good for that.

There are good songs - beautiful, touching, magical :) And then ... there are bad songs - depressing, explicit, or inducing feelings that we just don't want to have. Those are the things we need to turn off. Music is a gift from God, but it can also be a tool of Satan - and it's being used more and more as the latter.

Music touches the soul. Listen to good things so that your soul is touched in the right way. I know, it sounds simple - maybe even silly to some, but it's important. When we listen to music, we open ourselves up to its influence. Choose your influences wisely.

"We get nearer to the Lord through music than perhaps through any other thing except prayer."
-- President J. Reuben Clark Jr. (David O. McKay's first counselor)
Countless are the times that I've felt the Spirit at the hands of music :) It does bring us closer, so often, if we let it.

"If thou art merry, praise the Lord with singing, with music, with dancing, and with a prayer of praise and thanksgiving."
-- Doctrine and Covenants 136:28
Praise the Lord through song :) It's said we should go through life with a prayer in our hearts. I'd like to add, with a song in our hearts, as well :) (I always have a song in my head - whether I want to or not!)

Bonnie Gwyn


3 comments:

  1. Music does seem to raise the soul.
    #atozchallenge
    maggie winter

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not sure what I would do without music. It is a very important medium in my life and affects everything I do. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete