S is for Stranger
I feel like there are way too many words that start with the letter 'S' ... couldn't decide! But this is something that's been on my mind, so I may as well share.
When you hear the word stranger, you probably think of people you've never met. The unfamiliar faces you pass on the street, or the occasional creeper you're trying to avoid (Haha). But what about people you've already known (or thought you knew) - that you just don't know anymore?
One of my favorite songs is Stranger by Hilary Duff (Yes, I still listen to Duff!). Talks about how different someone can be, depending on the light they're in - who's looking, who's around. I'm not pointing fingers, but ... I can definitely relate. Sometimes, people just surprise you. (Hey - another 'S' word!)
And you know, that's not always a bad thing. I've had many awesome surprises from different people. The outside of someone - be it appearance, attitude, kindness (or lack thereof), etc - often deceives. Some can seem downright scary, but are teddy bears inside :) Others put on a show of kindness and are the total opposite when you get to know them. It just depends. Seeing people for who they are takes time - but it's always so worth it. When you don't know ... well, trying to understand a stranger is really hard.
Earlier, I was reminding a friend to be himself, and that it's the people brave enough to do that who are truly amazing. I'd like to give all of you the same reminder. You don't want others to be strangers to you, so ... don't be a stranger to them. Sharing is caring. I know - some might think I'm crazy, and that it's way too risky to be yourself. I've thought that many times. But if you're never really yourself, how will you know who you are - or how much others can truly love you?
So don't be strangers!!
That's my lecture for the night ;)
Bonnie Gwyn
My wonderful 18-yr-old son never met a stranger in his life. He speaks to everyone, everywhere, like they've been friends for years. I admire him!
ReplyDeleteThat's awesome! :)
Delete