Tuesday, April 8, 2014

G is for Grace

Yesterday was one of those days that I wished would just end already. It started off alright, but the further into the morning I got, the worse it seemed, until I finally just slid back into bed and shed a few much needed tears. I burrowed under my covers as though I could hide from the world. As though, despite them being small, my blankets could protect me from my enemies - my doubts, my fears, my discouragement. And then, after falling asleep for a few minutes, I felt Him. I felt peace wash over me. And I knew, despite everything going on, that I would be okay. I woke from my nap and convinced myself that it was like a new day. Monday the second, I called it, and I boosted my productivity until I finally felt better.

So why am I sharing this?

Because ... "It is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do." (2 Nephi 25:23)
The word grace, as used in the scriptures, refers primarily to the divine help and strength we receive through the Atonement of the Lord Jesus Christ. - True to the Faith
Not only does His grace help cleanse our sins, but it also helps us through every trial. He helps us through every trial. It's remarkable. Truly, what we know of the Atonement is barely the tip of the iceberg. Christ is there for us always, and has suffered everything.

Alma 7:11-12
And he shall go forth, suffering pains and afflictions and temptations of every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will take upon him the pains and the sicknesses of his people.
And he will take upon him death, that he may loose the bands of death which bind his people; and he will take upon him their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people according to their infirmities.
Because He suffered everything, He knows what we're going through, and He knows how to help us - even if it's as simple as a wave of peace, or a kind word from another. He knows. He hears us. He feels everything that we feel, and wants us to make it through. He wants us to be happy. But the scripture says after all we can do. We have to do our part, too. :) He will lift us up, and He will help us on our way, but we have to be going somewhere. So help Him help you by helping yourself. Take a minute to breathe, and then ask for His help as you press forward. Pray. Listen. Let Him guide you. And allow yourself the humility to be comforted by Him, which I think is a lesson I'm being constantly reminded of. <3 He is there for us - always. But we have to open the door.

Photo from LDS.org :)
God bless.

Love,
Bonnie Gwyn

10 comments:

  1. Grace is a strong word...indeed it is by god's grace that we are surviving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post, Bonnie. We all stand in need of His grace, along with grace we receive from others in our life's journey.

    Teaching English with Mr. Duncan
    A-Z of hotels

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another beautiful post full of faith and testimony. I was so impressed with pres. Uchtdorf's talk Sunday morn that I almost went with gratitude for my G post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My iPad froze up again before I finished. Thank you for reminding me to be grateful for His grace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very uplifting blog! Glad you stopped at mine, and glad I returned the favor!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I admire your openness in discussing your (our) beliefs. I'm working on being less shy. Some of the most powerful examples of grace in my life is when I've taken problems, having tried my hardest (and failed) to overcome them on my own, and turned them over to Him. Sometimes the change is gradual, sometimes with miraculous speed, but under His care the problems either went away or become somehow manageable. Truly, "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. (Philippians 4:13)"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very beautiful post, Bonnie. It touched me in a good way. Thanks a lot for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very uplifting and honest post. I'm glad your day got better and that you were able to find solace and courage through your beliefs xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful post!!! My yesterday was anguish-filled as well and I KNOW that if I were able to fully depend on the Lord and "let go and let God" that my life would be so much more simple! Sometimes I just need reminders - thankfully - I have a lot of "God" moments (as we like to call a "coincidence" )

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know this was yesterday's post, but I just had to comment! It's so refreshing to read a blog that can discuss religion without sounding all preachy. I'm glad you found me and visted my blog! I'll have to visit you more often. :)

    ReplyDelete