Elder Shayne M. Bowen of the Seventy came to speak, and he was phenomenal. It would take several blog posts to cover it, but this was one of my favorite quotes: "There's no right way to do the wrong thing, and breaking the commandments of God is the wrong thing."
Near the end of the Saturday evening session, he opened the meeting for questions, and he was asked some great ones. One man asked him what we're to think of all the danger and frightening things that are happening in our time. Elder Bowen quoted these simple lyrics, and they were so profound: "Keep the commandments. Keep the commandments. In this there is safety - in this there is peace."
There were several other wonderful speakers - one of which was President Beazer. "You must listen," he said. "You must silence the world around you. You must forget those things that keep you from hearing the word of the Lord. You must remember why you are here." Sister Ely talked about this more, focusing on how peaceful the temple is - and how the noise of the world doesn't exist there. President Ballard reminded us to turn down the volume on negative thoughts and feelings, and to focus on the good. I can't begin to press the importance of this.
How often do we get caught up in the noise of the world? We mustn't do that. God is always trying to keep in contact, but He doesn't yell. The Spirit doesn't yell. We have to listen. We have to be open and willing to hear the words of divine inspiration. Because without that guidance ... who knows what can happen. We need Him. Always. No exceptions.
Listening can be a sacrifice, and we may be persecuted, but that's okay. "Christ wasn't popular," Elder Bowen reminded. "Joseph Smith wasn't popular. Lehi wasn't popular." We aren't here to gain praise of men, but instead of God. He is the one who matters. Remember that. <3
I'm so grateful for this wonderful gospel, and all of the great people who lead the church through divine guidance. I'm grateful to live here in this beautiful place, and to know everyone that I do. Thank you to every one of you for all you do, and all that you are. And whether or not we've ever met, I love you - just as God does. You're never alone. None of us are. We just have to press forward, until the light is our focus and we forget the darkness. Because the darkness may not go away in our lifetimes, but that doesn't mean it wins.
Bonnie Gwyn <3

How nice that you got to hear Elder Bowen. I don't remember hearing him speak but he must be Xtremely awesome if you say he is. I wish I could have heard your talk. I'm sure it was awesome too.... because you are an Xtremely awesome young woman. I spoke in stake conference 2 years ago. I enjoyed bearing my testimony. I bet you did too. Hugs, Grammy
ReplyDelete