Friday, April 11, 2014
J is for Just Believe
... and Just Do It.
I took this picture while out running with a friend on Tuesday - on the track of the Newport Grizzlies. :) I don't run as often as I used to, or as often as I should, so I know we both appreciated the time to get moving. But getting around the track never comes without effort - right? I mean, unless you have wings. ;) But you know. In all seriousness. (If there is such a thing!)
When you start running on the track, you usually start on a line, and you do your best to make it back to that line. The starting line eventually becomes the finish line.
When we left our home with Heavenly Father to come here to earth, we knew we'd have to run a race, and we'd have to run it well. Of course, God has given us help. And if we fall, there is always hope of getting back up and finishing. There is always hope of crossing the finish line - if we just keep moving. He wants us to cross that line. With this in mind, let me tell you a story.
Once upon a time, I ran the 300 hurdles at a track meet, and I fell three times in that short distance around the track. When I reached the last hurdle, I tripped over it and landed on my back - and I didn't intend to get up. I felt too weak. I felt too lost. But a coach (from the other team, actually) yelled at me to get up. "Finish the race," he told me. "Finish the race!" And I did. Not at great speed, or with a first place title, but I finished. And when I did, I had instant support from my teammates, helping me off the track and to tend to my wounds.
When I was there on my back, it felt like forever, but it was really only a second or two. One of those slow motion moments you never forget. The entire experience was unforgettable, because I needed it. It humbled me. It strengthened me. And it showed me that I can make it through hard things. We all can. We're so much more capable than we realize.
But truly, our time here in this life is only a matter of seconds compared to eternity. We have so much more ahead, if we can just run this race. So when you stand at your starting line - for maybe what feels like the hundredth time - have faith and take that first step. Believe. And if you're in the middle of your race, don't give up. Don't forget what you're running for. Remember how to breathe and keep moving, step by step. If you've fallen, get back up. If you're nearing the end of your race, don't look back. Keep your eyes on the finish line - on the gospel, on God - and make it through.
And if you're somewhere in the middle of all of this ... just believe. Just have faith in God, and He will pull you through. Don't be afraid to fall, if that's what you need for growth. Don't be afraid to let go of a little pride. I did that. I didn't plan on it, but it changed a lot for me, and I'm grateful for it. Don't focus on the fear or the nerves. I know they're awful. But focus on the faith. Focus on the light. Focus on Him.
Run the race. Carry on. <3 And when you reach the finish line and you've run well, you'll be able to go home. You'll return to Him - but you'll be a changed person - and it will all feel so worth it.
God bless!
Bonnie Gwyn
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

What an encouraging post. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteHope you'll visit http://www.thebusymomsdaily.com/2014/04/blogging-from-to-z-april-challenge-j.html
You sent out an encouraging message...
ReplyDeleteThank you for being part of the "AtoZ Challenge", please stop on over to my site[s] and say "Hello"!
Comment/Follow/Etc.
Jeremy [Retro]
AtoZ Challenge Co-Host [2014]
Old is the New Cool...
[Being-Retro]
Inspiring post with a great message to keep going.
ReplyDeleteI ran a little track when I was a kid, but I can't say I was any good. And now running is difficult for me because of the spine surgery I had, but I wish I had a runner's stamina as running to let your mind go blank sounds lovely. :)
What a lovely post. I had to tweet it. My word for this is 'focus'.
ReplyDeleteYou are an inspiration to me. I hope that I can meet you on one of our trips to visit our kids in Utah. I want to give you a real hug.... until then, I am sending you lots of cyber hugs. You are a valiant daughter of God.
ReplyDeleteStopping by from the A-Z Challenge! Have a good weekend! :)
ReplyDeleteMadeline @ The Shellshank Redemption
Minion, Capt. Alex's Ninja Minion Army
The 2014 Blogging from A-Z Challenge
Great message. I totally believe in the notion of finishing the race, no matter what. You can be great, average, or not so good at all; it doesn't matter. The point is the journey.
ReplyDeleteInspirational, beginnings and endings intertwined. I like this. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteA visiting A to Z er.
This was a lovely and inspiring post, thank you for sharing! I would have loved to run track or something but I never had the discipline or belief in myself. It's wonderful that any coach - especially the opponent - would encourage you to get up and finish the race. The most touching moments of the Olympics imo are the ones where the competitor falls out of contention (literally) and forces him/herself to finish anyway. Google Derek Redmond or watch this video. It made me bawl like a baby!
ReplyDeleteThe Pedestrian Writer visiting from the A to Z blogging challenge