Saturday, April 26, 2014

W is for Willing to Walk (The Robe)


The Robe (1953) has always been one of my favorite movies, and as I watched it tonight, it struck a special chord in me. If you haven't seen it, I definitely encourage you to do so - and I warn you that what I say from here on down would be considered 'spoilers.' For those of you who have seen it, you'll understand my love for the scene I want to discuss.

At the very end of the movie, Marcellus (Richard Burton) is sentenced to death for being a Christian. Diana (Jean Simmons), the woman he loves, finds the courage to join him - and does so with a great impact. Together, they walk away towards their execution, and Diana gives the robe to a fellow Christian. As they walk, the Emperor shouts, "They're going to meet their King!" He seems both hysteric and mocking, but as the last clip falls into place, Diana does something unexpected. She smiles at Marcellus - and it isn't just a smile. It's joy. The joy that she's found in that simple truth: she and her chosen love are going home, to meet Christ, together. And while the court deals with shock, she smiles.


She smiles. And then, they both walk on with such confidence. It's uncanny ... but so beautiful. They take that walk towards God, and do so willingly, because they believe.

Do you yearn for belief as strong as that? I do. I want more than anything to return home and greet my King, and know He's accepting of the life I've lived. That is my goal - that He may tell me I've served Him well. I believe it's a great goal for all of us - to work towards that inner peace and confidence. Because once you know what's on the other side, and you don't fear it ... death loses its power as well. That's what Christ died for - to give us agency to choose and believe and give our all, and then to give us something great: immortality. We will all receive that. But will we receive salvation? That's up to us.

Smile, my friends. Believe, and smile. <3

Love,
Bonnie Gwyn

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting.
    I haven't seen that movie. I wonder how many people are confused by her smile?

    Stopping by from the #atozchallenge !
    @JLenniDorner

    ReplyDelete
  2. pretty nice blog, following :)

    ReplyDelete