O is for Off! (Or, in other words, boundaries)
Because some people, sadly, don't seem to consider that concept. Lately, Off has become my most prominent thought when in the presence of a certain someone. And just for the sake of privacy ... let's call him Bob. Or, actually - I like the name Bob too much - don't want to stain it ;) How about ... Homer?
Said Homer just hasn't been able to lay off lately. Let's just say that he chooses the worst of times to hug me, put his arm around my shoulders, rub my back, etc - which gives me the creeps. Haha There is actually no good time for him to do this. I'm just being polite. But, seriously, I really need to set some boundaries, because this isn't okay.
I guess it's not all his fault because I haven't had the guts to crush him ... yet. There's nothing worse than the face of a crushed man. So, I keep making small attempts, but he's obviously not getting the idea. What to do ... what to do. I always try to be a nice person, and they say you should be friends with everyone. But, define "friends."
Here's what I plan to do ... when I get my courage. *Crossing fingers.*
Next time I see Homer, I'm going to take him aside and tell him that I'm sure he doesn't realize it, but he's pushing my boundaries. I save close contact for close friends, and he's not one of them. I also have a spiritual bubble, and I don't like people with weird energy getting into it. (Like I'm gonna tell him that ... 'Oh, hey you! You have weird energy!' ... Sounds just dandy.)
There. Does that sound like a plan? Cause the idea still scares me. Haha Which is hilarious, because I probably intimidate him way more than he intimidates me (just like a spider, you know).
Bonnie Gwyn
Said Homer just hasn't been able to lay off lately. Let's just say that he chooses the worst of times to hug me, put his arm around my shoulders, rub my back, etc - which gives me the creeps. Haha There is actually no good time for him to do this. I'm just being polite. But, seriously, I really need to set some boundaries, because this isn't okay.
I guess it's not all his fault because I haven't had the guts to crush him ... yet. There's nothing worse than the face of a crushed man. So, I keep making small attempts, but he's obviously not getting the idea. What to do ... what to do. I always try to be a nice person, and they say you should be friends with everyone. But, define "friends."
Here's what I plan to do ... when I get my courage. *Crossing fingers.*
Next time I see Homer, I'm going to take him aside and tell him that I'm sure he doesn't realize it, but he's pushing my boundaries. I save close contact for close friends, and he's not one of them. I also have a spiritual bubble, and I don't like people with weird energy getting into it. (Like I'm gonna tell him that ... 'Oh, hey you! You have weird energy!' ... Sounds just dandy.)
There. Does that sound like a plan? Cause the idea still scares me. Haha Which is hilarious, because I probably intimidate him way more than he intimidates me (just like a spider, you know).
Bonnie Gwyn
Ugh, what a tough spot. I worked with a guy who constantly touched me. He did this in 100% completely non-sexual ways, but I HATED it and it made me very uncomfortable. The thing is, he was the nicest guy, didn't mean anything by it and would have been mortified and devastated if I ever said anything.
ReplyDeleteSo I didn't. Instead I always tried to keep a chair or table between us and sometimes just stepped away from him. Stepping away was an obvious signal and eventually he did it less. Thankfully he ended up leaving the company.
If you have the courage to say something, you should. I always worried that this guy would get in trouble one day and maybe I could have prevented that if I had had the guts to tell him outright.
The phrase: 'This is not okay' works well and is understood by the very simple minded. You're welcome to use it to banish the guy with the weird energy.
ReplyDelete