Tuesday, September 11, 2012

9/11 - He suffered all we suffer, and knows all we know.


Before I get started on Seminary thoughts, I'd like to take some time to honor today. I admit, until I got on Facebook and saw all the posts, I hadn't put the words September and 11 together. Now I have, and I realize that today - eleven years ago - will never be forgotten.

I still remember. I was a pretty young kid, but something like that doesn’t blow over easily. I was watching TV when the show was interrupted, and I remember seeing the videos of the plane over and over and over again. It wouldn’t go away. The tragedy – the pain people were feeling – wasn’t going to vanish. In many ways, it still hasn’t. And every year that we see 9/11, many will still reflect on the happenings. I know I will.

There has always been tragedy in this world. People lose loved ones every day. And sometimes, it’s not to death that they are lost. That’s where the gospel comes in to this.

Jesus Christ once lived on Earth, and He experienced everything we’ve gone through, are going through, and ever will go through. He’s known the temptation. The pain. The sorrow. The guilt. The bitterness. The grief. The suffering. All of it.

We’re not alone in this.

Because He can relate, we can always turn to Him for answers. We can turn to Him for comfort. And when we do that, He will be with us. Through His spirit and the Holy Ghost, He gives us the way to be at peace. It’s hard to let go of our problems and trials – to give them to Him. But it’s worth it – very worth it.

God has a plan for each and every one of us, and it’s a good plan. It’s the Plan of Happiness – the plan of joy and eternal life. It’s a road map, and we should never lose it or forget it’s there.
Sometimes we get stuck behind a brick wall, and we can’t see where we’re going. It happens. But we must remember, He knows where we’re going. Through Him, we can find the eternal perspective, and make our way through the maze of life.

We can’t give up. In order to make it, we have to keep going, and we need to be going the right way. So listen. Listen to Him and the Spirit. Don’t turn off the GPS when you’re off the road. Use it to get back on.

And once you’re back on, traveling down the road, keep that eternal perspective. What’s in this world isn’t what matters the most.

Matthew 6: 19-21
19: Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon the earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:
20: But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:
21: For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

Bonnie Gwyn

1 comment: