Thursday, September 13, 2012

God's Plan of Happiness - Part 2


I’m back. Aren’t you happy? ;) Haha Yesterday, my blog was about the Plan of Salvation. Today, I’m finishing off what I started. (You can’t have a Part 1 without a Part 2, right?)

In Seminary today, our opening song was Let the Holy Spirit Guide. I honestly don’t think that could be more fitting.

Let the Holy Spirit guide;
Let him teach us what is true.
He will testify of Christ,
Light our minds with heaven’s view.

Let the Holy Spirit guard;
Let his whisper govern choice.
He will lead us safely home
If we listen to his voice.

Let the Spirit heal our hearts
Thru his quiet, gentle pow’r.
May we purify our lives
To receive him hour by hour.

The Spirit is a guide, a guardian, a comforter and a teacher. There’s so much to learn if we simply listen. And the more we listen (and act on promptings), the more he’ll tell us (and the more we'll get). It’s the other way around as well – if we don’t listen, he won’t want to come around as often.

Doctrine and Covenants 11: 12-14
12. And now, verily, verily, I say unto thee, put your trust in that Spirit which leadeth to do good – yea, to do justly, to walk humbly, to judge righteously; and this is my spirit.
13. Verily, verily, I say unto you, I will impart unto you of my Spirit, which shall enlighten your mind, which shall fill your soul with joy;
14. And then shall ye know, or by this shall you know, all things whatsoever you desire of me, which are pertaining unto things of righteousness, in faith believing in me that you shall receive.

In faith. Trusting the Lord, as well as the Spirit, is a big part of why we’re here. Since Satan was cast down to Earth, we are inflicted with many challenges. In my mind, there are three main reasons for that.

1.      To teach us
2.      To strengthen us
3.      To humble us

It’s the third I really want to hit on. Being humble is vital, as is relying on the Lord, and you can’t do one without the other.

Proverbs 16: 18
Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.

Don’t be prideful, guys. It’s really not worth it! We can be much better – and happier – people if we listen to the Lord with open hearts, willing to hear all He and the Spirit tell us. And as we become humble, we will also be strengthened.

Ether 12: 27
And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them.

So, what does this have to do with the Plan? Simple. Everything has to do with the plan. If we humble ourselves and follow the Spirit, we will have the strength to make good choices, and that’s the key: that we do good continually. As I’ve said before, if we sin, it’s not the end of the world. That’s what the Atonement's for (But don't take it for granted!!). If, that is, we choose to use it.

When we die, there are two places (or groups of people) that we’ll go to. One is Paradise, and the other Prison. I’m not sure why they call it that, but they do. Basically, those who know the gospel and kept the commandments go to Paradise, while the others go to Prison. And that’s where missionary work comes in.

After Christ’s death, while His body was in the tomb, He went to teach the spirits in Prison (Terrestrial spirits). And later on, when we’re in the world beyond, the spirits in Paradise will do the same. As we perform ordinances in the temple for those already dead, we’re giving those spirits the keys they need to continue on their way, even if they didn’t get that in their mortal lives.

When Christ comes for the Second Coming, he ushers in the Millennium, and the Celestial spirits are resurrected. The Telestial spirits have to wait until the Millennium is over. (Revelation 20:5)
 
In the resurrection, all who have ever lived on Earth – both righteous and not – will be given a body. And those bodies will be appropriate for, and according to, our degrees of glory – whether that be Celestial, Terrestrial, or Telestial.

When the time comes, we will take our places in Eternity (in the kingdoms where our judgment has placed us), and those in the Celestial Kingdom – where I aim to be – will continue to progress. And this plan, which we’ve lived, will continue on forever – just as it already has before us.

I know. Don’t think about eternity too much. It hurts. Haha

I’ve gone a lot longer than I planned to, but I don’t feel like cutting anything out. So, I’ll just make my advice quick. :)

We’re not here by chance. We’re not (as someone said today) a ‘Happy accident’. This is a plan, and it’s up to each of us – both together and individually – to follow it, and do our best. That being said, do good continually, and have a great day! (And a great week, life, eternity … you get the point.)

Bonnie Gwyn

No comments:

Post a Comment