Sunday, January 13, 2013

O My Father

Acts 17:22-23

Then Paul stood in the midst of Mars’ hill, and said, Ye men of Athens, I perceive that in all things ye are too superstitious.
For as I passed by, and beheld your devotions, I found an altar with this inscription, TO THE UNKNOWN GOD. Whom therefore ye ignorantly worship, him declare I unto you.

I found this scripture to be a perfect introduction, because God is not an unknown God. He has made Himself known to us in so many ways, and He wants us to know Him, believe in Him, rejoice in Him, and love Him – which is, as Christ taught, the first and great commandment. And we can’t really love God unless we know who He is.

So, that brings on the question – Who is He?

God is our Father – literally. We are all His spirit children, and He sent us here to Earth because He loves us and wants us to be happy – to learn what we need so that we can return to live with Him and take part in His kingdom. He Himself has called this His Work and His Glory (To bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man).

John 17:3
And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

We are to know God. Having a personal relationship with Him changes everything, and it’s something everyone should strive for :)

I don’t think I could survive without the knowledge that, when I’m having a hard time – or at any time – I can kneel down and He’ll be there for me. He is always there – for each and every one of us. No matter who we are or what our situation is, He is there. He is willing to listen, guide, and bring constant peace – because we are His children, and He loves us – more than we can comprehend.

Never think that you’re unworthy or that you’re not important enough to speak to Him. He loves you – every one of you. No exceptions. And He wants to be there for you.

Alma 37:37
Counsel with the Lord in all thy doings, and he will direct thee for good; yea, when thou liest down at night lie down unto the Lord, that he may watch over you in your sleep; and when thou risest in the morning let thy heart be full of thanks unto God; and if ye do these things, ye shall be lifted up at the last day.

It might be hard to believe sometimes, but God really does want to hear everything. Be it something that frustrates you, worries you, makes you incredibly happy, or just a simple happening of the day – He is the Father, and he cares.

Counsel with Him in everything. If you have a question, ask. If you need guidance, ask. Anytime, anywhere, any place. He has the answers, and He will guide us – we just have to let Him in. Remember – He’s always knocking :) Let Him in. Let Him show you where you need to go, and what you need to do. Welcome His will, and you will be so blessed and so happy – any sacrifice made is beyond worth it :) Might not seem like it at first, but it really is.

That fact has really presented itself to me lately. The more I give my life over to Him, the more I wonder why I didn't just do it in the first place. His yoke is indeed so much lighter than the world’s.
I was reading the other day in John, and I found a verse that touched me so deeply. I’d like to share it.

John 16:33
These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

Christ has overcome everything. He suffered for all we suffer – every sin, every ache, every pain, every wrong. He knows it all. And if we can only give our burdens to Him, and trust in Him and the Father, we will make it through.

I’d like to wrap this up with a quote from one of my girls :) When we read that scripture from Alma in Young Women today, Sarah shared her feelings about letting the Lord watch over us in our sleep. She said, “God is like a dream catcher.” And that right there just touched my heart. It’s true – God is there, watching over us, taking away the bad and giving us the good.

But it’s up to us to put Him above our beds – to give Him a place in our lives where He can do that for us.

My friends, He is our Father ♥ He knows us all, and I hope that we can all know Him, because He loves us so much. And He’ll never stop.

I love you guys too :) Make it a great one!

Bonnie Gwyn

1 comment:

  1. This was absolutely FANTASTIC!! Thanks for being the incredible young woman that you are, and writing such wonderful words. This has given me an "eternal hug" and helped remind me that my struggles are not my own to overcome. I know I am not alone on this journey called "life". We truly are spiritual beings having an earthly experience.

    Have a WONDERFUL Monday!!

    Connie

    ReplyDelete