Sunday, January 20, 2013

Guest Post by Kami McArthur :)


Ladies and gentleman, I'd like to introduce you to a new friend in the blogging world - Kami McArthur :) Do pull up a chair and listen - she has some things to say that are well worth your time :) And feel free to check out her blog and show her some support! - Bonnie Gwyn
-------------
Hi everyone! My name is Kami McArthur. I’m new to the blogging world—I just started my own blog that you can find here (http://kamimcarthur.blogspot.com/). I’m a writer, reader, occasionally a traveler, and like Bonnie, I’m Mormon. I grew up (and still live) in Utah, where I got an English degree that I’m putting to good use. Bonnie was kind enough to let me do a guest post on her blog. I wanted to focus on pursuing goals.

Here’s a truth: sometimes we as human beings sabotage ourselves. We keep ourselves from reaching our goals. While not everyone’s dreams come true in this life, too many times we’re the ones that stop ourselves short.
But there are some people who literally don’t have the opportunity to reach their potential. Factors outside their control hinder their abilities. Many victims in worldwide atrocities, such as those in Death Camps, didn’t even have the chance to even try. People who live in poverty might miss those opportunities also.
If you’re like me, you’re blessed enough not to have those road blocks. The difficulties that threaten to stop me from moving forward are usually internal. While internal challenges can be hard to handle, we shouldn’t let them stop us from accomplishing our goals. We have more opportunities and more freedoms than many of our ancestors had. And we shouldn’t waste them because of our own personal blocks. President Gordon B. Hinckley stated in the January 2001 Ensign,
“This is the age of great opportunity. You are so fortunate to be alive. Never in the history of mankind has life been filled with so many opportunities.”
With all of these opportunities, don’t give up on yourself in whatever you are pursuing. Sometimes we give up because our painting isn’t as good a Michelangelo’s. Or we give up on making it as a writer because it’s difficult. We fail to pursue our desires because we’re insecure, scared, frustrated, lacking faith, hate public speaking, are horrible with oils, or don’t know what a coma splice is.
Don’t let these things stop you.
Remember, everyone has a starting. I’m a big Harry Potter fan, and there’s a quote from the film Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix that I like to keep in mind. When Harry is teaching his classmates, he says “Every great wizard in history has started out as nothing more than what we are now. . . . If they can do it, why not us?” Although we don’t live in a world where there are magic and Dark Lords, Harry’s statement is still true in its meaning. Every talented, accomplished person we admire had to start somewhere. Even Michelangelo had to learn his colors.
Instead of sinking into self-doubt and despair, work to overcome your shortcomings. Defeat your flaws. Reach your potential.
I once had a classmate in college tell us, “If you aren’t good enough, you can become good enough.” He said it with such conviction that I’ve never forgotten it.
So whatever you are pursuing in your life, make sure you don’t sabotage yourself. Out of everything that can stop us from reaching our goals—war, famine, poverty, atrocities—let’s not let ourselves be one of them. Keep going. Never give up on yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment