Three weeks ago today, I got on a plane and took a leap of faith. It was the most God-driven decision I've ever made. And do you know why I'm certain of that? Because I haven't regretted it - not for a second. This new journey has certainly brought its fair share of trials, but it's also brought its share of blessings, and lessons that I know I need to learn. And I honestly look forward to more trials and lessons, because I know I'm on the right path.
For those of you who don't know, that plane three weeks ago brought me to Salt Lake City. I'm currently living with my sisters and helping take care of my baby nephew, and it's amazing. I've had so many incredible experiences in the last few weeks. From meteor showers, to hot springs in craters, and to temples and other things ... it's been amazing. Oh, and did I mention that I finished my fantasy novel? Yeah, that too. I may not have everything accomplished that I'd like, but I'm making progress, and I'm learning. Learning is the most important thing. Here's what I've learned from being here so far:
- My testimony is mine, and the gospel is still my complete priority - no matter where I am. I'm living in a different place, with different people, and now the decision to be obedient is completely mine. And I'm grateful for that. Because until something is truly tested, we don't know how much it means to us. The gospel is everything to me.
- I can do more than I think. The morning after I arrived in SLC, my sister told me about the Give it 100 challenge, and she prodded me until I agreed to do it. Tomorrow will be my 19th day of jogging - it would be more, but I take Sundays off. Anyway, with my track record for fitness, that's amazing. I've pushed myself more than I ever planned to, and I feel awesome. I'm actually excited now to wake up in the morning and start my day early, with good old fashioned exercise. It's truly been life-changing.
- I'm not perfect. Of course, I've always known this, but sheesh - living with new people really brings it out. I'm not as patient and Christ-like as I want to be, and it's good to recognize that, because I can work on it.
- I have no idea what's going on with you, or with anyone. This goes along with being Christ-like. A while ago, we went to visit Crystal Hot Springs, and we met this woman. I plan to blog about her later, but to summarize, I read this woman completely wrong. She shared details of her life and struggles with us, and afterwards, I couldn't help looking at everyone and thinking, What are they going through? And other experiences since have only emphasized the fact that I don't know, and that I therefore have no right to judge or make assumptions. That's up to God, and only God. And when I look at the world that way, it's incredible. I'm now striving to see others as Christ would, and it takes focus, but it's amazing. Because He loves us all, and we must therefore love each other.
- Time is precious. I can count on one hand the number of movies I've watched since I got here, and that's awesome. For a while, I allowed myself a lot of screen time, but I've since found better priorities. I've been focusing on other things, and I honestly haven't missed it - at all. I've even stopped using my laptop more than a couple of times a day, because of my new best friend - my AlphaSmart Neo. It's a portable word processor/floating keyboard, and it's also changed my life. I've learned that all I really care about is studying, spending time in the scriptures and at church, writing, and spending time with my family. That's it.
- I can have control by having no control. I know, that's confusing, but it's true. I'm currently living in someone else's house, and someone else is paying for my food and basically my life, and that's hard for me. Accepting gifts and such has always been difficult for me, so my complexes have made it very difficult to accept this kind of hospitality, but I'm grateful. Because in having this chance to breathe and get my life together, I'm really more in control than I've ever been, and that's a thrilling feeling. I do intend to get a job and take care of those things, but for now, I think this is a humbling experience. This is me letting God take the wheel for a while.
- Sleep and schedules are the best things ever. I work well when I'm rested and I have a plan. I didn't really realize this until Girl's Camp. And then after days of being exhausted here, I figured out the solution. I'm breaking my good pattern now by staying up late, but in my opinion, blogging is worth it. But anyway, even my morning jog tells me exactly how much sleep matters. When I'm deprived, I'm slower and it's a lot harder - as it likely will be in the morning. When I'm well rested, I wake up more easily and jogging is a delight. Well, as much as any exercise can ever be a delight. ;)
- Families are forever. Literally. I love my family so much. There's something about friendship with siblings that can't be found anywhere else. And the overwhelming love that I feel for my niece and nephew is amazing.
- I trust myself. I saved this for last because it's been the biggest surprise. In living away from my parents and dealing with things on my own, I've learned that I can depend on myself. I've gained a greater understanding of my past and my experiences than I've ever had, and I believe that every mistake I've ever made had a purpose. I believe that I'm capable of learning and growing, and that my future is in good hands. I believe that God knows all, and that as long as I trust in Him, I'm okay. And if I follow Him, I can trust my decisions. That's so important. I believe that I know my priorities, and that they're good, and that I'll dedicate myself to what needs accomplished. I believe that I can do it.
I love you all!
Over and out.
Bonnie Gwyn

Excellent blog! #6 -- you've even had a hard time with your parents paying your way, since you were little. :)
ReplyDeleteHehe Yes, this is true.
DeleteYou have grown up and are truly an adult. I always enjoy anything you write. I have wanted to write, but I just don't have the way with words. I enjoyed this blog and it made me happy to read the things you have learned in just three weeks. Keep up the good work!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much!! <3
DeleteBonnie, I hope you don't mind me peeking in here, but knowing more about you will help me serve you better. You are a beautiful young woman and all you have written reminds me of me at your age (tho I suspect you are a tad smarter! Actually, I'm sure of it!) Tour new friend, Ramona Z
ReplyDelete