I heard an idea in church yesterday that really resonated with me: "When you're on the wrong path, it feels like the only one." In my experience, it's incredibly true.
Here's my theory. When we're on a path the adversary would like us to be on, he doesn't bother with giving us all of the doubts and 'grass is greener' thoughts. It probably doesn't feel as necessary. I, for one, get pretty stubborn and defensive when I know I'm not quite on the right path. I slowly become convinced that what I'm doing is the only way. I forget the power of my own thoughts and agency. However, when I'm on the right path, the adversary does everything he possibly can to make me question it.
Of course, because of recent events, I immediately applied this idea to relationships. When I felt my most recent relationship ending, I felt really conflicted. I knew that the situation wasn't good or healthy for me, but I couldn't see past it, and I definitely didn't believe there was anything better out there. It felt, to me, that I was giving up on the one and only. Thoughts of him being the 'love of my life' and all of that fluff filled my head, and it was really hard to tell myself I was wrong. I had to force myself to embrace being temporarily unhappy for the sake of finding true joy. I expected to feel so miserable and lost without that man in my life. Instead, as I told you guys last week, it brought an incredible awakening. My point is, sometimes we have to go against our feelings a little bit and choose what's right, because we can become so emotionally involved in the wrong path.
We find so many 'wrong paths' in this life - relationships, friendships, jobs, bad habits, poor lifestyle choices, etc. Anything that is destructive to our physical, emotional, or spiritual health is a wrong path. It's easy to feel like our path is the only way, but we must remember that the only path rightfully labeled as the only way is the path of Jesus Christ. If we're on a path that doesn't correspond with His will for us, or our best interests, there are absolutely other paths. The grass may seem greener in some pastures, but I promise all of you that the grass is greenest in the kingdom of God, and in the joy that He brings into our lives.
If any of you are on a path that doesn't sit quite right with you, or that you know goes against any of the Savior's teachings, I encourage you to be brave and take that first step in a better direction. If you're on a path He wouldn't endorse, but you feel like you're happy enough, I promise that there is something better out there. Those first steps of change might be painful, but choosing to take His path will always bring greater joy in the end. Always.
Bonnie Gwyn

No comments:
Post a Comment