Sunday, February 4, 2018

God is real! I promise.

The other day, after a trip to the Oquirrh Mountain temple, I found myself at the cemetery doing some much-needed talking to my grandma. There's something great about talking to someone who can't tell you you're wrong, you know?


As I sat on the grass over my grandparents' grave, I noticed a figure several yards away. The figure  wore a really puffy coat and a green and yellow beanie, and drove a truck that seemed a little questionable. I suddenly felt insecure about being alone at the cemetery with someone who could possibly be a creeper. As I continued to talk to Granny and pray, I heard that someone say, "Hello!" and I cringed. I immediately eyed my car and debated leaving, but instead said "Hi" back.

As the figure came closer, I realized it wasn't a creepy man at all, but instead an elderly woman with an incredibly wrinkled face that disguised her feminine features. Beneath the odd looking coat, she wore lovely Sunday clothes. She had a beautiful smile. As she approached, she asked me, "Do you want to be alone, or would you like some company?" For her sake, I thought, I agreed to talk to her.

This woman, Dorothy, proceeded to explain to me that her husband had recently passed away. She shared a lot of things about their relationship and how she was coping. As the sun came out and gave her an angelic glow, I realized that this woman was truly beautiful inside and out. She had such a warm, wonderful, Christ-like spirit about her.

I told her I'd come to talk some things through with Granny. She picked up on my meaning and asked me what was going on in my life. I explained about my recent breakup and my crazy work schedule. She proceeded to give me a lot of amazing advice - things I so badly needed to hear - and I found the tears in my eyes that I'd been waiting for. She kindly asked me, "What are you doing for you?" She stressed the importance of finding a man on my same spiritual level. She assured me that God has a plan. She gave me answers to the little fears and griefs I was feeling, and she sealed the beautiful gift of her words with a hug. She admitted that she felt hesitant to come and talk to me, but knew she should. I will forever be grateful that she did.

I'd had a full morning of self-care that day. If I hadn't stopped by Good Earth or Kneaders, I would have gone to the temple much earlier. If two other temples weren't closed, my time at Oquirrh would have passed much faster. If I'd decided to go straight home, I never would have been at that cemetery. And if Dorothy had made a different choice about her day, she wouldn't have been there, either. It isn't a coincidence that we both arrived at the cemetery at the same time, and that in a time of great need, I was sent someone who would have the courage to obey a prompting and be in tune enough to tell me exactly what I needed to hear. For me, that was a miracle.

I have been overwhelmed lately with tender mercies and little miracles. I dropped out of a math class and found out, maybe a week later, that it was being revamped and would be way better next semester. I was given a gift card that allowed me to buy a book I'd been wanting for years. My sister and I were trying to figure out a way to see the musical Hamilton, and I was suddenly given three coming Saturdays off. We now have tickets to see it in two weeks. I recently told my Heavenly Father that I want to dedicate more of my life to the people around me, and I received a new church calling today that will help me do exactly that.

God sends people into our lives at exactly the right place and time, and for a very exact purpose. I experienced another instance of that on Thursday, when I went on my first date as a newly single lady. I was taken aback by my ability to feel comfortable with a man I'd never met before and completely at peace with the newness of it all. I think a lot of that is because said date was an incredible person and put me at ease from the get-go. Whether I see him again or not, I'll always be grateful that he came into my life and showed me that great people are out there and that another relationship will be totally possible.

Life is good, guys. There are always positives. Keep shining!

Love,
Bonnie Gwyn

2 comments:

  1. The amazing and frightening thing about life is that miracles are more common than we think or recognize.

    ReplyDelete