Happy 2023, everyone! This new year brings a new book for us to study for Come, Follow Me: the New Testament. I'm really excited and already feel so blessed to have this opportunity. In past years, I haven't been the best at making Come, Follow Me part of my life. I've mostly listened to the "Follow Him" podcast as I bike and fold laundry. I've read the actual text when I needed to prepare for a lesson at church. But I haven't sat down and truly used the manual to study in depth. I felt especially chastised (in a good way) on Sunday when someone mentioned that we should study the actual scriptures first instead of turning to podcasts. It's so easy to turn something on and half-listen as I work on something else. That isn't true study and I'm sure it's not edifying me as much as I need.
My goal for 2023 is to repent and take advantage of this great resource we've been given. I think it will motivate me to take detailed notes and share my thoughts with you all here. Take what you feel applies to you and leave the rest. An amazing thing about the scriptures is that they touch us all so differently. I'd love to hear what you think about as you study Come, Follow Me as well. Leave your insights in the comments, on Facebook, or shoot me a message!
Let's dig in to the first lesson: "We are responsible for our own learning."
Treasures in Heaven
Luke 18:22
22 Now when Jesus heard these things, he said unto him, Yet lackest thou one thing: sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me.
I've heard this scripture countless times, but it hit me hard this week. I thought a lot about my children and how they deserve to have treasures in Heaven, not just treasures here. I love our belongings, probably more than I should, and am always battling to be more minimal. I'm trying to orient our family around experiences and relationships instead of stuff. For example, we decided not to do gifts for Christmas or teach our children the tradition of Santa because we want to focus more on the Savior. I want them to find joy in serving others and giving to those in need, instead of waiting anxiously for presents. We have more than enough already. I have good intentions, but it's still hard. I like stuff.
This verse reminded me that my priority needs to be teaching our children the gospel. I need to focus on studying the scriptures together, praying together, learning Primary songs, etc. They deserve to feel the Spirit daily in our home. I'm ashamed to say it, but this was the first time I've accepted that if I really prioritize God in our home, everything else will fall into place. I get so worried about all the things I want to teach them and how to make time. When I start our days with things that lead to treasures in Heaven, everything feels easier. I don't feel like I'm constantly behind. My top priority needs to be their salvation (though I know I can only influence it, not control it, which is a topic for another day). I'm aiming for treasures in Heaven.
In my journal I wrote: Less perfection, more experiences with the Spirit. Less stuff, more faith.
Philippians 4:8
8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.
This verse can be a template for our priorities as parents. These are the things that bring the Spirit into our lives.
Galatians 5
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
These things can be the fruit when we have the Spirit in our homes. I can't imagine a greater gift to a child than an atmosphere filled with such love and joy. This has really transformed my mindset as a parent.
Humble Children
Matthew 18:1-4
1 At the same time came the disciples unto Jesus, saying, Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?
2 And Jesus called a little child unto him, and set him in the midst of them,
3 And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.
4 Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.
When we had our first child, I was terrible about comparing myself to other parents, comparing our daughter to other children, and fixating on growth and milestone charts. I've been grateful this time around to be more relaxed and comfortable as a mother. I haven't looked at milestones once. I don't have a clue what our baby should be doing and it's freeing - really, really freeing.
Children aren't born with pride. I can promise you that my baby isn't sitting around thinking about how the baby next door can crawl and he can't or that he's cuter than anyone else. We the parents create those thoughts, at least at first. Our children don't naturally make comparisons. They trust that we will love them just the way they are and support their individual journeys. It's us, the parents, who have the pride and so often push it onto our children. These verses reminded me that I need to be more like my children - more authentic and anxious to learn (like my toddler), more willing to submit (like my baby), more loving (like both of them), etc. They are humble. That's why children are the greatest in the kingdom.
I need to stop caring what others think of me. Be willing to be imperfect.
Invisible Effort
Alms 5:46
46 Behold, I say unto you they are made known unto me by the Holy Spirit of God. Behold, I have fasted and prayed many days that I might know these things of myself. And now I do know of myself that they are true; for the Lord God hath made them manifest unto me by his Holy Spirit; and this is the spirit of revelation which is in me.
He put in the work! It's foolish to compare, to covet, and to be envious. We don't see the invisible effort of others to gain testimonies, clean homes, obedient children, happy marriages, financial stability, and so forth. We don't know the work and struggle it took to achieve what we see on the outside. There is much internal effort, struggle, and pain that we weren't present for.
Likewise, it can take effort to maintain things like our testimonies. I've thought a lot about this verse in the parable of the sower:
Matthew 13:19
19 When any one heareth the word of the kingdom, and understandeth it not, then cometh the wicked one, and catcheth away that which was sown in his heart. This is he which received seed by the way side.
We can't get too comfortable. Our effort doesn't end when we feel we have a testimony or anything else that we've worked hard to achieve. It doesn't end for others, either. It takes effort to both gain and maintain many of the things I listed above. We don't see what happens before and after the moment in someone's life that we envied.
Conclusion
Becoming Exemplary Latter-day Saints by President Russell M. Nelson
October 2018 general conference
"The new home-centered, Church-supported integrated curriculum has the potential to unleash the power of families, as each family follows through conscientiously and carefully to transform their home into a sanctuary of faith. I promise that as you diligently work to remodel your home into a center of gospel learning, over time your Sabbath days will truly be a delight. Your children will be excited to learn and to live the Savior’s teachings, and the influence of the adversary in your life and in your home will decrease. Changes in your family will be dramatic and sustaining."
I am so excited to seriously study Come, Follow Me this year and see the things President Nelson promised come to pass. I already feel a big difference in my own happiness and confidence. I hope that Drew and I can remodel and transform our home so that the Spirit is always present. It will take work and effort (mostly the invisible kind) but I know it will be worth it. It can seem inconvenient to prioritize gospel learning as a family ... but think of the fruits! The sacrifices pale in comparison.
Bonnie Gwyn

No comments:
Post a Comment