Thursday, January 5, 2023

Matthew 1; Luke 1

What beautiful chapters to begin our study of the New Testament. I have loved feasting on the story of the Savior's birth and His incredible family. Mary and Joseph were among His first disciples and can teach us so much about accepting God's will. They must have been prepared their whole lives for the roles they played. I've learned a lot and hope I can be more humble and meek like them.

"Jesus and His Mother"

The Helpless Infant

Matthew 1:23

23 Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.

I'm really fond of the show "The Chosen." I recently watched an episode in which Mary talked about her experiences and the birth of Jesus. She talked about how her baby - the Savior of the world - came into the world and needed cleaned. I can picture my own children fresh from the womb and needing so much care. Mary said that Jesus was cold and hungry. He needed her. Of course, that conversation in "The Chosen" is fictitious, but everything she said was surely true. It made me think about the Lord in new ways.

From the beginning, Jesus faced potential rejection as His mother carried Him in the womb. In the moments before Joseph chose to accept the situation, Jesus' fate could have been different. He easily could have been born out of wedlock and been ridiculed. Of course, I think Joseph was chosen because of his humble willingness to do God's will, which I'll get into later. The point is that our Savior was once a vulnerable baby whose future depended on the good choices of His earthly guardians - subject to the flaws of mortal parents, just as any new life is.

When Jesus was born, He descended to the depths of humility as a helpless infant. He needed His mother. It's never occurred to me that the Atonement applies just as much to the experiences of vulnerable babies as it does the rest of us. They are without sin, of course, but it's more than that. Jesus Christ knows what it's like to be cold, alone, and afraid. To be small. To be powerless. His reach extends to the trials of the little babies who are subject to our imperfections ... and as a mother, that's really comforting.

I'm not perfect. When I don't make it to my child immediately, when I'm a faulted mother, when my baby has pain, Jesus is there. His Atonement reaches them in fear, sorrow, darkness, overwhelm, etc. I never intend to cause my children pain or fear, but I can only imagine what it's like when they're alone and waiting, not sure if I'm coming to save them or not. I definitely believe that children are in the presence of angels. Jesus Christ makes it possible for them to return to Him despite their circumstances and struggles. I think He has a special place in His heart for the children because He was one and understands how important and fragile they are. That's a new, profound idea to me.

Mary's Sacrifice

This thought might be TMI for some people, but it's been on my mind. Mary sacrificed so much as the mother of Jesus. Her reality as a young mother was surely difficult and overwhelming. We don't know if the birth was complicated, if nursing was difficult, if she struggled with postpartum recovery, and so on. She didn't give birth in a sanitary place. We don't even know if she had help other than Joseph (I hope she did). And it was only after all of that that she and Joseph were able to truly bond as a married couple.

Think about it. She was a virgin who had a baby. That must be a lot more painful than most women having a baby. She's the only woman in history to never know intimacy before childbirth. It's awkward to talk about, but I think it's a big deal. She was a mother before she was a wife. Her first experiences with that part of her body were likely painful, not pleasurable, and who knows how long it took for her to experience what the rest of us did long before a baby. It's just something that probably goes unnoticed - the sacrifice she made as a woman (a young girl, really).

"In Their Season"

Luke 1:20

20 And, behold, thou shalt be dumb, and not able to speak, until the day that these things shall be performed, because thou believest not my words, which shall be fulfilled in their season.

I love this question in the Come, Follow Me manual: "What do you feel the Lord expects of you while you wait?" In my journal, I wrote: I think he expects me to have faith and hope. To be kind. It can be so hard, when we're waiting, to focus outward and trust in Him. But it's so important that we have hope and remember that He knows everything. We can trust Him. He will fulfill all of His promises to us when the time is best. Not always when we want it to happen, but when it will benefit us most.

Humble Reactions

There are two examples of reactions that I've been pondering. The first is Jesus Christ, who loved all no matter what their pasts or futures entailed. 

John 13:1–5, 10-11

1 Now before the feast of the passover, when Jesus knew that his hour was come that he should depart out of this world unto the Father, having loved his own which were in the world, he loved them unto the end.

2 And supper being ended, the devil having now put into the heart of Judas Iscariot, Simon’s son, to betray him;

3 Jesus knowing that the Father had given all things into his hands, and that he was come from God, and went to God;

4 He riseth from supper, and laid aside his garments; and took a towel, and girded himself.

5 After that he poureth water into a basin, and began to wash the disciples’ feet, and to wipe them with the towel wherewith he was girded.

... 

10 Jesus saith to him, He that is washed needeth not save to wash his feet, but is clean every whit: and ye are clean, but not all.

11 For he knew who should betray him; therefore said he, Ye are not all clean.

The Savior knew what was coming. He knew Judas would betray Him. And yet, He washed his feet. He wasn't bitter or angry. He didn't hold on to the negative feelings that anyone would surely have in that situation. He was humble. He submitted Himself to His fate and loved the disciple who would betray Him. There are so many times when I hold grudges or take days to work through feelings because someone has "offended" me. Jesus Christ reminds us that being offended really is a choice. We don't need to be victims of our circumstances. The Savior could have been the ultimate victim, but He chose the higher path. We can choose to serve even the "worst" among us (we have no place to judge and no way of knowing what others have gone through). No service is below us.

The second example is Joseph, the Savior's earthly father. 

Matthew 1:18–25

18 Now the birth of Jesus Christ was on this wise: When as his mother Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Ghost.

19 Then Joseph her husband, being a just man, and not willing to make her a publick example, was minded to put her away privily.

20 But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost.

21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name Jesus: for he shall save his people from their sins.

22 Now all this was done, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying,

23 Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.

24 Then Joseph being raised from sleep did as the angel of the Lord had bidden him, and took unto him his wife:

25 And knew her not till she had brought forth her firstborn son: and he called his name Jesus.

Imagine if you were in Joseph's situation. You're excited to marry a wonderful woman and she comes to you to reveal she's pregnant. I know I would feel betrayed. But Joseph didn't act out in anger. He was just and thoughtful. He was so good to not want to humiliate her. I love that he "thought on these things" and took time to decide how to act. Of course, we don't know how the initial conversation went between Mary and Joseph. There may have been strong emotions. We don't know if other people were involved. But in the end, Joseph didn't take the victim role either. He didn't lose faith. Even in this difficult moment, he was open to inspiration and accepted what the angel told him.

He had to make a sacrifice similar to Mary's, in that they couldn't experience all marriage had to offer until after the child was born. He also had to cope with fear and worry. I'm sure he wondered if he could really trust Mary, if she would be faithful, if he could love her child, etc. I don't think we consider the greatness of Joseph as often as we should. There's a reason he was chosen as the man to help raise Jesus. It seems like he was good to the core.

How often do we react rashly when things go wrong or when we receive bad news? How often do our strong emotions overwhelm us? We can learn so much from both the Savior and His earthly father about taking a step back, being thoughtful, and choosing humility and love. They both submitted to the will of the Father.

Bonnie Gwyn

No comments:

Post a Comment