Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Visionary

1 Nephi 5: 1-4
1 And it came to pass that after we had come down into the wilderness unto our father, behold, he was filled with joy, and also my mother, Sariah, was exceedingly glad, for she truly had mourned because of us.
2 For she had supposed that we had perished in the wilderness; and she also had complained against my father, telling him that he was a visionary man; saying: Behold thou hast led us forth from the land of our inheritance, and my sons are no more, and we perish in the wilderness.
3 And after this manner of language had my mother complained against my father.
4 And it had come to pass that my father spake unto her, saying: I know that I am a visionary man; for if I had not seen the things of God in a vision I should not have known the goodness of God, but had tarried at Jerusalem, and had perished with my brethren.
I read this last night, and I was filled with a great respect for Lehi. Even Sariah, at a time of stress, doubted her husband. But he had faith in himself, in his gifts, and continued to listen to the promptings of the Lord. Of course, later on, Lehi has his own times of murmuring - but we all do at some point. In this passage, he is a great example.

We mustn't be ashamed to be visionary, to believe and act on promptings. We must have faith in God. If you're prompted, act on it. If you don't, it's likely you'll regret it later - even the small things. I'll feel an urge to take something with me when I leave the house, and when I don't, I find myself needing it. These things happen, and God knows they will, so He helps prepare us through the Spirit. :) And the more we act on promptings, the more God knows we're listening, and He'll bless us with the vital guidance we need.

It's also so important to read and love the scriptures, and to abide by their teachings. They were written there for each of us individually. I'd even go so far as to believe that when these prophets wrote, they knew I existed and intended every word for me - and the same for you. I know that they saw us. They saw our time. They know of the destruction and our trials and pains. It's truly amazing. The scriptures aren't just words; they are words for us. And you should read every word as though it was written solely for YOU.
(Photo Credit to Roxanne Basford - we did an awesome shoot the other day)
Pray for guidance in understanding the scriptures. If you have a firm belief and desire, you will be answered. :) Have a great day everyone. We have so much to be grateful for!

Bonnie Gwyn

No comments:

Post a Comment