Friday, March 28, 2014

Who We Used To Be

I saw this quote today, and it really spurred my thoughts.


I'm not always sure of who I used to be, because we feel so far apart. Isn't that strange? Because we’re the same person … aren't we?

Not necessarily.

Photo Credit - Nan Miller (2007)
I often think back to who I was and want so badly to tell her so many things. Don't make that choice, I say. Don't take that step. Don't say those words. Don't make that mistake. From deep in my heart, I scream, You'll regret it! But then ... I have to stop myself. Because I know.

I know that if it wasn't for every single step I've taken, I wouldn't be who I am. I'm not the same person, and that's okay. That's how it should be. We're not meant to stay the same. We're meant to grow and progress in so many ways. And I have. It's just wild to look back ... and barely even recognize myself. When I think of all that's happened, it seems like enough to fill ten lifetimes. And I'm grateful for every second. It's hard sometimes, but I love who I am, and who I'm becoming. It's taken me far too long to reach that point. But I'm here, and I'm trying my best to do better - just as we all can.

Let go of your regrets, my friends. You made choices. We all did. They were choices, and now we move on. It's that simple. We're here in this life to learn. We're here to make mistakes. We're here to become better. And we can't become better if we always stay the same.

So love yourself. And when you look back, cheer yourself on. I know what I've been through, but I also know that there are better times on this side. So instead of warnings about the future, instead I whisper, It will be alright. Because I know it will be. When I think of her crying and afraid, I tell her, You're strong enough to handle this. Wait until you see what comes after. Wait until you see the light. It will be so worth it. And then, I try my best to do the same for myself, because I know. Years down the road, I'll be looking back, and I'll be cheering myself on. I know that, someday, my trials will pass. So I press on - just as we all must.

Your cart is heavy, but don't stop pulling. The sand is deep, but don't let it get the best of you. The sun is hot, but don't let it burn you. Keep moving. Keep trying. And someday, you will see the end of it all, and you will be grateful that you did all you did.

And when you look back, tell yourself this: I was you once. I made that choice for reasons that seemed good at the time. I understand who you are. I understand where you've been. But I also know where you're going ... and I forgive you. I love you.

It will do wonders.

Bonnie Gwyn

3 comments:

  1. I often wonder if, were I given the chance, I'd change anything about my past. Ultimately I always come back to the same point: I enjoy where I am now far too much to put any of it at risk by changing the slightest thing. Maybe I could be happier, but I doubt it. The most difficult parts were the times that helped me grow the most, so I wouldn't change those. The best parts I certainly wouldn't want to change. And all the other, boring parts? What would I replace them with? More difficult parts? More good parts? Too much "good stuff" only makes me appreciate the good stuff less. And more difficult parts might have overwhelmed me. So really, there's nothing left but what I've already got. As you say, be happy with who you are and move forward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter does this very well. And when I say --Oh why did I do this or that-- she'll say, "Mom, you made the best decision you could at the time."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully written and very encouraging. Thank you.
    Visiting from A-Z challenge (but got side-tracked with your writing) -Lena
    unwaveringme.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete