I took a nap this afternoon, and I woke up with a tragic realization: life didn't feel thrilling anymore. It sounds dramatic, but I’ve felt so much joy in recent months, that it was startling to feel any other way. And so, I began to ponder what was different. The options ranged from post-sickness cabin fever to hormones. I journaled about this, and as I talked to others about my theories, I realized that I was lacking a very vital perspective. I'd allowed myself to slack off, to flatten out, to stop caring. And so, I made four goals to live on purpose.
1. I decided that I should try doing something or going somewhere new every day. I may not be able to strictly keep that goal, but it’s something to pursue, and I think it will change how I feel about my life.
We live in such a beautiful world, with so many opportunities, and I don't want to sit idly in one place. I want to experience God's creations and give them the appreciation that they deserve. I want to experience culture and community. I called my sister to tell her my thoughts, and we agreed to go for a jog. I got sick a couple weeks ago and stopped running, and I didn't realize how much I missed it, but the minute my shoes hit the pavement … it was like magic. That brings us to the next goal.
2. I will get back to consistent, daily exercise. Because of ankle problems, I won't run every day like I did before, but I'll do something.
After jogging, we also stopped by the park, and then we went home and I changed out of my running clothes – and I decided to dress up a bit. I put on my favorite boots and jeans and could feel the difference, because I was making an effort – even for a short trip to dinner. I always feel better when I make an effort, because I'm investing myself, and when I do that I tend to have more passion and appreciation for the moment. And now I realize how important that is. That brings us to the next goal.
3. I will do things for myself that help me feel good - like dressing up to go to dinner, or spending time in nature, or taking time here at Zupas to write with my AlphaSmart Neo. I need soul-food. It’s vital for my existence.
(My sister and I both have Neos! Love them.)
And speaking of soul-food ...
4. I will fill my life with even more spiritual nourishment. I study the scriptures, but I want to study more, and to dedicate substantial time every day to growing closer to God.
No matter what goals I set, that goal will always be the most important. I've realized more and more lately that the gospel is everything to me. It is all that I am, and all that I ever will be. Without daily study and prayer and pondering, I'm at a complete loss. I need that. Because if I live on purpose, I want that purpose to be God's will.
And so, I’m going to sleep tonight with new goals, and new hopes for myself. And this may be the most self-centered blog I’ve ever posted, but I don’t mind, because it’s important – and I think it’s something that we all need to pursue … this wonderful thing called living on purpose.
We can go through life and experience the greatest of things ... and never realize it. We can be blind to miracles and wonders and joy. We can simply exist and waste away the years. Or, we can live with passion and purpose and joy - and most importantly, love.
I encourage all of you to ask yourselves, What can I do to live on purpose? And then set goals and do it. This life is a gift! When we take it seriously, we're showing God our gratitude and our commitment to improve. And when we improve, we're fulfilling His Plan, because He wants us to reach our greatest potential. Now is the best time to start.
Bonnie Gwyn

No comments:
Post a Comment