Sunday, October 11, 2015

The Good Life


I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and that is everything to me. I realized today that if I died, the greatest tragedy to me would be if someone didn’t know that. And so, I’m here to tell you.

First off, for my dear friends who aren’t Mormon, let me explain something. The first Sunday of every month, aside from a few exceptions (like today), is what we members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints call Fast Sunday. On this day, we fast – which means that we choose not to eat for a period of time in order to feel closer to God, or to pray for something extra important. When we go to church that day, instead of having members give talks during Sacrament Meeting, the microphone is open for testimonies.

Today I’m going to bear my testimony to you – not at a pulpit in a chapel, but instead at a keyboard in my bedroom. And I hope that you’re willing to listen.

Often, my testimony goes something like this: I know that the Church is true, and because of it, I can become better. I know that Jesus Christ lives, and that because of Him, I can be cleansed of my sins. I know that Heavenly Father loves me, and that through Him, I can find courage. But today, I want to get rid of the word ‘can.’

I know that this is Jesus Christ's church, and because of it, I have become better. I know that Jesus Christ lives, and through Him, I have been cleansed of my sins and my pains and my sorrows. I know that Heavenly Father loves me, and through faith in Him, I have found courage and strength that I never imagined were possible.

I know that the Book of Mormon and Bible are both true and wonderful books, and through them, I have been inspired and guided and comforted. I know that there are living prophets on the earth today – their words have changed my life. I know that the Gospel was restored to the earth by Joseph Smith, and that it’s true. And because of it, I smile. Because of it, I am truly happy.

You may ask, how am I happy? How do I know? I could tell you about miracles and answered prayers, but honestly, my answer to those questions is simple: Because I’ve lived the life. And it’s a good life.

I hear talk all the time about how hard it is to be modest, and to be pure, and to keep the commandments. And I suppose it is hard. But for me, I’ve simply made the decision to live that way – and I try to renew that decision with every choice I make, every day. I’m not perfect at it, but I try, and it’s worth it.

I don’t wear immodest clothing. I don't do drugs or drink alcohol. I don’t swear. I don’t shop on Sunday. I don’t watch R Rated movies. I don’t listen to inappropriate music. And to me, that isn’t giving anything up. It isn’t a sacrifice. Because if I did do those things, I would be sacrificing everything.

I keep the Lord's standards because I want to live a joyful, happy, inspired life. And guess what? It’s working. I want to be close to God at all times, and in all things, and in all places. I want to feel His Spirit constantly. And because of many choices I’ve made, and constant repentance, those wants have become my reality. Why would I ever want to give that up?

I admit, there have been periods in my life where I’ve allowed my standards to fall, and I’ve felt the difference. Even little changes, like the exception of one TV show or one song, have drastically altered my path. The crazy thing about life is that every single choice we make affects us. Everything we see and hear influences us. Everything that we do changes a part of us, and a part of our future.

And so, it comes back to this simple question: What kind of lives do we want to live? What are our goals? What do we have our sights set on?

My goal is eternal life with my Heavenly Father, and because of His plan and His gospel, I know that it’s possible. I bear testimony of that, and of His infinite love for each and every one of us. I bear testimony of His miracles and His tender mercies. And most of all, I bear testimony of the joy that being a Mormon has brought me. It is the reason that I smile. And I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

Bonnie Gwyn

2 comments:

  1. There's no question about the "courage" part. That's one thing I admire about you.

    ReplyDelete