Thursday, March 30, 2023

Matth 14; Mark 6; John 5–6: Why Did You Send Me Here?

Today, I want to talk about life's storms and the temptation to be angry with God. The last few weeks have been unusually stressful for me. I admit to having several days when I felt bitter and upset with God, wondering why He put me in my situation. It took a lot of spiritual work, time, and patience to pull myself out of it. I want to share two stories from the Savior's life that have brought me perspective and peace.

Mark 4:35-41

35 ​And the same day, when the even was come, he saith unto them, Let us pass over unto the other side.

​​​36 ​And when they had sent away the multitude, they took him even as he was in the ship. And there were also with him other little ships.

​​​37 ​And there arose a great storm of wind, and the waves beat into the ship, so that it was now full.

​​​38 ​And he was in the hinder part of the ship, asleep on a pillow: and they awake him, and say unto him, Master, carest thou not that we perish?

​​​39 ​And he arose, and rebuked the wind, and said unto the sea, ​​​Peace​, be still. And the wind ceased, and there was a great ​​​calm​.

​​​40 ​And he said unto them, Why are ye so ​​​fearful​? how is it that ye have no ​​​faith​?

​​​41 ​And they feared exceedingly, and said one to another, What manner of man is this, that even the wind and the sea obey him?

Lisa L. Harkness

“Many of Jesus’s disciples were experienced fishermen and knew how to handle a boat in a storm. They were His trusted—indeed, His beloved—disciples. They had left jobs, personal interests, and family to follow Jesus. Their faith in Him was evident by their presence in the boat. And now their boat was in the middle of a tempest and on the very verge of sinking. We don’t know how long they battled to keep the boat afloat in the storm, but they woke Jesus with a bit of panic in their voices.”

 

Mark 6:45-52

45 ​And straightway he constrained his disciples to get into the ship, and to go to the other side before unto Bethsaida, while he sent away the people.

​​​46 ​And when he had ​​​sent them away​, he departed into a mountain to pray.

​​​47 ​And when even was come, the ship was in the midst of the sea, and he alone on the land.

​​​48 ​And he saw them ​​​toiling in rowing​; for the wind was contrary unto them: and about the fourth watch of the night he cometh unto them, walking upon the sea, and would have passed by them.

​​​49 ​But when they saw him walking upon the sea, they supposed it had been a spirit, and cried out:

​​​50 ​For they all saw him, and were ​​​troubled​. And immediately he talked with them, and saith unto them, Be of good cheer: it is I; be not afraid.

​​​51 ​And he went up unto them into the ship; and the wind ceased: and they were sore amazed in themselves beyond measure, and wondered.

​​​52 ​For they ​​​considered not​ ​the miracle​ of the loaves: for their heart was ​​​hardened​.

In both of these situations, it was the Savior's idea to get on the boat. This week, as I experienced a trial, I related so much to the Savior’s disciples on that boat. I reflected on their experiences and how angry and terrified they probably felt. He sent them out and the storm came. He, their all-knowing Savior, sent them into that experience. If I was in that boat, I admit I’d probably feel bitter and doubt Him too. I say that because I feel like I’ve been there this week and it’s been a serious test of faith for me. My prayers have sounded like this:

You asked me to do this and now I’m in a storm and I’m afraid. The wind is pushing against my best efforts. You asked me to do this. Why did you send me out into this storm, or into this wind? Where are you? I feel so helpless. Where is my miracle, my calm sea, my chance to walk with you?

As Sister Harkness taught, His disciples were experienced fishermen. I'm sure they did their best to save themselves from their circumstances. But they couldn't do it alone. They needed more. They needed faith and they needed their Savior. After all they could do to get the water out of the boat and save themselves, they thought they would perish. All their rowing didn't get them closer to land. When we put in our best efforts and still feel inadequate, Jesus Christ makes up the difference. Sometimes we have to wait a while to see that happen, though. In the meantime, the storm can feel terribly overwhelming.

2 Nephi 25:23

23 For we labor diligently to write, to persuade our children, and also our brethren, to believe in Christ, and to be reconciled to God; for we know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do.

My daughter is in love with Primary songs and asks for them constantly. This morning, she asked me for "the song about Laman and Lemuel." It struck me with more power and meaning than it ever has. I also told her I needed a minute this morning to talk to Heavenly Father and she joyfully sang "I am a child of God" to me. I am so grateful for her already vibrant, pure, and optimistic testimony. Both of my children remind me of the beauty of this life and of the goodness of Jesus. They are peace in my storms.

Nephi’s Courage

1. The Lord commanded Nephi to go and get the plates
From the wicked Laban inside the city gates.
Laman and Lemuel were both afraid to try.
Nephi was courageous. This was his reply:
“I will go; I will do the thing the Lord commands.
I know the Lord provides a way; he wants me to obey.
I will go; I will do the thing the Lord commands.
I know the Lord provides a way; he wants me to obey.”

2. The Lord commanded Nephi to go and build a boat.
Nephi’s older brothers believed it would not float.
Laughing and mocking, they said he should not try.
Nephi was courageous. This was his reply:
“I will go; I will do the thing the Lord commands.
I know the Lord provides a way; he wants me to obey.
I will go; I will do the thing the Lord commands.
I know the Lord provides a way; he wants me to obey.”

3. The Lord gives us commandments and asks us to obey.
Sometimes I am tempted to choose another way.
When I’m discouraged, and think I cannot try,
I will be courageous, and I will reply:
“I will go; I will do the thing the Lord commands.
I know the Lord provides a way; he wants me to obey.
I will go; I will do the thing the Lord commands.
I know the Lord provides a way; he wants me to obey.”

So, here I am, in a boat that's getting tossed around. I'm tempted to keep asking, Why? But I know that will keep me from learning and strengthening my faith. If I listen, I hear Him comforting me with words like:

Yes, I put you here, and I will take care of you. I will provide a way. Do all you can do and I will handle the rest. I see the big picture. You need to trust that there is an end to every storm.

I love this quote from the Come, Follow Me manual:

Michelle D. Craig

“You and I can give what we have to Christ, and He will multiply our efforts. What you have to offer is more than enough—even with your human frailties and weaknesses—if you rely on the grace of God.”

Sometimes God asks us to do very hard, scary things. When we dwell on the fear and darkness, we miss the big picture of the miracles He is working in our lives. He is always working to better us and bring us joy. When His disciples feared, He told them to be of good cheer. He didn't just say, "Stop worrying." He told them to be cheerful! It's so hard to do that when life is beating away at our boats. It's hard to see Him when the wind is in our eyes and blowing us to and fro. We have to look past all our mortal circumstances and see Him, because He is always there and His grace is more than enough.

John 6:9-14

9 There is a lad here, which hath five barley loaves, and two small fishes: but what are they among so many?

10 And Jesus said, Make the men sit down. Now there was much grass in the place. So the men sat down, in number about five thousand.

11 And Jesus took the loaves; and when he had given thanks, he distributed to the disciples, and the disciples to them that were set down; and likewise of the fishes as much as they would.

12 When they were filled, he said unto his disciples, Gather up the fragments that remain, that nothing be lost.

13 Therefore they gathered them together, and filled twelve baskets with the fragments of the five barley loaves, which remained over and above unto them that had eaten.

14 Then those men, when they had seen the miracle that Jesus did, said, This is of a truth that prophet that should come into the world.

I love that the Savior gave thanks for the little that they had. What a great example for us. We don't have enough, but we can still be grateful for all we have to offer - and for the grace of our Savior that makes it enough. And for the record, it isn't just enough to keep us alive. He gives us enough to fill us with more to spare. He will always make us whole in the end. He will heal us. He will make everything right. We won't reach the eternities with Him and feel unsatisfied. We have to do our part and give all we can. Then He multiplies what we've given and it results in true abundance. That's why He wants us to be of good cheer. Everything is possible through Him. Even storms are beautiful with the right perspective.

I'm not perfect. I'm still working on my perspective. I'm trying my best to have faith in Him and His plan, because I can't see it right now. But I know it's there. I know He is there. I'm so grateful we have the scriptures to show us examples of faithful people making it through storms - and also doubting people being pulled out of the water. We can all find ourselves somewhere in these stories. And we can always find Him. He is always sure, steady, and present with us. We just need to choose to find Him in our lives and give Him all we have.

Bonnie Gwyn

No comments:

Post a Comment