Sunday, June 2, 2013

Why Do You Sing?

Technically, I should have started this yesterday, but I only just heard about it from Brandy at Brandy's Bustlings. Chantelle over at Fat Mum Slim has a photo-a-day challenge, and I've always thought a photo challenge might be fun - so this month, June, I'm gonna try it :) I'll be calling my posts "Picture a Message", because I believe you can find inspiration in everything. Hop on board and see what I come up with :)

B is for ...
Book! Hymnbook, to be exact.

I know - simple one :) But it's often the simple that proves to be the most important. Music is amazing. And the Spirit is so strong in it - especially in hymns. We sing of faith, blessings, and the joys of the gospel - praises to God, truly. And that is priceless.

Last night, at Northwoods, I was watching one very talented woman prepare for her solo in Les Mis. She walked out onto the little porch of the theater, pulling her shawl closer around her, and then she stood there - so still, so silent, listening to a bird in the distant trees. I wish I could paint a picture of what that looked like. The night air, the peace, the thoughtfulness. I could just ... feel it. And I realized something.

When we're singing for something - when we have a reason - that's when the music unfolds. When we feel it - really feel it. I often ask myself, Why do I sing? What do I sing for? And I'll ask all of you the same question: Why do you sing? What do you live for? What it is in your heart that urges you on?

Bonnie Gwyn

No comments:

Post a Comment